Why purchase produce at the farmers market?
Organic and local produce is THE best produce to put into our bodies! Fruits and vegetables found in grocery stores are highly processed and grown using pesticides, hormones, antibiotics, genetic modification and covered in wax. The pesticides on produce can have a negative impact on the human body. Fortunately the farmers market has several organic and local produce, the freshest, most tasty fruits and veggies you will ever taste!
Key tips and tricks
- Bring a basket or reusable bags.
- Walk throughout the entire farmers market once WITHOUT buying anything, this way you can see and compare prices of produce and speak with the vendors about their produce.
- Buy your hard fruits and vegetables like carrots, potatoes, eggplant or watermelon at the beginning of your trip, then work your way to buy the soft and fragile fruits like grapes, tomatoes, and strawberries, this way they don’t get smashed, or effected by the heat.
- My favorite most helpful tip, go to the farmers market the at last hour before they close. Begin to shop 30 minutes before the market closes this way you score all the good deals. The vendors will put their produce at half price and offer other awesome deals and will sometimes negotiate a price because they most likely do not want to take all their un sold produce back home.
- Lastly have fun, buy some fresh flowers, and enjoy your fresh organic produce!
Know where you food comes from, and support the local farmers in your area, it is the best way to feel connected to your community.
Thanks for reading!